Baldness and less-volume hair is an embarrassment these days for both men and women, especially when we start losing our hair at very young age. Hair styles, growth, volume and length add to the depiction of our image in public. Loosing which may cost us our impression of being stunning and dynamic, except for those whose pretty faces accept the bald top – like Vin Diesel. So, what’s the solution? Well, the only permanent solution to the issue is the “Hair Transplantation” – as discussed with Dr. S.S. Gambhir, a well-known Hair Transplant Surgeon at Persona, New Delhi.
Yup! It’s hair transplantation. It’s the procedure where grafts or follicles are replaced from the back of the head to the bald or low-cut growth regions. The process carries two basic hair transplantation types – FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation) and FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction). Both are apt but as per the area and density of baldness.
What’s the Difference between FUT and FUE?
FUT Hair Transplantation involves removal and dissection of scalp strip from the back-head into individual grafts. On the other hand, FUE method is quite more precise with the steps and techniques and is of longer duration than the former. Tiny specialized machine cuts and removed the individual grafts from the back-head one by one which is then grafted on the bald or thin growth areas.
Grafting method involves creating of tiny sites on the scalp where baldness and/ or less hair growth are observed, with use of sharp surgical blades and needles and placing the grafts in the sites. The area is, of course, anesthetized with confined anesthetic injections.
Advantages of FUT Hair Restoration
- Number of grafts can be maximized in a single transplant session. It gives chance to graft over 3500 follicles. It’s a single surgery for those who have never gone through hair transplant.
- Minimal damage to hair follicle.
- Superior result is driven as the resection rate is lesser. (*resection rate depends on surgeons experience and skills).
- Process if less effort-driven at quite reasonable cost.
Advantages of FUE Hair Restoration
- No cuts or stitches signs appear as it does not involve cutting entire strip of graft
- Patients do not have to wait for long to get recovered completely.
- No linear scar is observed post to the surgery. The area is left mark-free.
Both the procedures for Hair restoration or hair transplantation are equally beneficial on one or the other side. However, it is highly advisable to consult senior dermatologist before going through the procedure. Pre-test of allergies, invasions and compatibility is immensely recommended. The surgery takes several hours of the day and so, we suggest taking an entire day off from every schedule will be in favor for your mental and physical health.
In case you are not prepared to shave off the left-over hair on your head – be prepared! Some of the surgeons may have to shave off entire hair on the head to draw clean and precise line.
Post to Surgery Precautions & Care:
Patients might have to face after-surgery effects (not to be mistaken with side-effects) on the scalp – like swelling, reddish inflammation etc. You will be provided antibiotics, steroids and painkillers doses for few days. But nothing to worry about, it’s just the matter of few days and then you’re back to normal.
Some important steps to be followed while caring for grafts after surgery –
- Grafts have to be wetted for few days with saline repeatedly.
- Hair is to be washed with diluted shampoo the next day.
- Grafts shouldn’t be disturbed at all.
After two weeks, falling of grafts will be seen eventually and new hair will be seen growing from different sites after three to six months of the surgery. Nevertheless, in FUT hair transplantation method care for wound scar is quite mandatory and you will find removal of the seals after a week.
Who are right for FUT method?
- Those who are bearing larger baldness or scanty growth area on head and would like to spend time for single session only.
- Those who are unresponsive to cuts, marks, or longer recovery time.
Who are right for FUE method?
- People – men or women- with smaller region of baldness or short growth on head
- Those who prefer to go with short styles for hair
- Those who are cautious about invasions and do not want to bear any scar or mark on the head
- Those who lead an active lifestyles – sportsperson etc.
- People willing to recover faster.
Tips to choose an appropriate place for hair transplant
It’s all about matter of skin. Invasion and side-effects are too effective to penetrate skin and cause harmful effects to the inner organs (occurs in rare case). Thus, you have to take the call of action in selecting appropriate place for best hair transplantation. Check for the place where –
- performing doctors dermatologists, and surgeons are certified carrying certificate from AHRS
- Dermatologists have gone through extensive course and training.
- Technicians are supervised by the senior doctors/ surgeons throughout the process of hair transplantation.
- Designing of hairline is to be performed by the experienced surgeon.
- Rate could be high but quality is not compromised. Low rated surgery means probably technicians are given authority to perform the surgery.
Apart from the above mentioned checkpoints for selecting right place for the procedure, you are required to check with your capability and compatibility to tolerate the surgery wounds and scars. Hence, tall experienced surgeon from Persona – Dr. S.S. Gambhir suggests prior consultancy with veteran dermatologist.